NF Karkowsky, Esquire
Focusing on the representation of children with disabilities and special education needs
1142 Kersey Road
Silver Spring, Maryland 20902-3426
Mediation for Child Custody, Support, Child Welfare, Trusts and Estate Planning
in Maryland, Washington DC, Northern VA with help from an Attorney / Trained Mediator
Meet with a mediator & talk in a respectful way about your differences regarding issues affecting your child, his/her life, and yours. Everyone has an opportunity to hear and be heard in a safe and civil forum.
Why should you consider mediation?
▪ Mediation is cost-effective. A few informal mediation sessions might accomplish what more adversarial processes take months to achieve. Participants meet at a time and in a place that is agreeable to everyone. Lawyers may be involved, or maybe not.
▪ Mediation is less combative & should be less emotionally draining. The process facilitates communication, so participants can clarify areas of agreement & focus on resolving differences, often crafting a plan that resolves some, many, or all of the issues in dispute. That plan can be written down & filed in court. It becomes enforceable if everyone agrees it should be.
▪ Mediation is confidential. Except for limited exceptions, the conversation is not shared, so that there can be a full & open discussion.
▪ Mediation can be creative. You can craft a resolution that is unique to your situation & that works for you, even if it would not work for others.
Why should consider meeting with me as a mediator?
I have been an attorney & mediator for 15 years. My specialty as an attorney is child welfare law. I have conducted over 600 mediations in various matters including:
▪ child custody, visitation, & support
▪ marital property & financial issues
▪ child welfare
▪ personal injury
▪ workers' compensation
▪ trust and estates
▪ EEO/workplace disputes
I am certified by the:
▪ Circuit Court for Baltimore City, MD;
▪ Circuit Court for Baltimore County, MD;
▪ Circuit Court for Prince George's County, MD;
▪ Circuit Court for Howard County, MD;
▪ Circuit Court for Montgomery County, MD;
▪ US Postal Service, greater metropolitan DC area;
▪ Better Business Bureau, Northern Virginia.