California Department of Social Services
Where to get information:
Office of Services to the Blind
744 P Street, MS 8-16-94
Sacramento, CA 95814
Tel: (916) 657-2628 or TTY (916) 651-6248
Assistance Dog Special Allowance Program
the State of California
The Assistance Dog Special Allowance (ADSA) Program provides a monthly payment of $50 to eligible persons who use a guide, signal, or service dog to help them with needs related to their physical disabilities. The allowance is to help pay the costs of food, grooming, and health care for the dogs.
To be eligible for the ADSA program, an individual must meet all four of the following criteria:
- Live in California.
- Is blind, deaf, hard of hearing, or disabled.
- Uses the services of a trained guide, signal, or service dog.
- Receives benefits from one or more of these programs:
- SSI (Supplemental Security Income)
- SSP (State Supplementary Payment)
- IHSS (In-Home Supportive Services)
- CAPI (Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants)
- SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance)
- (SSDI recipients must also meet federal poverty guidelines)