National Institutes of Mental Health
Child and Adolescent Mental Health
National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
Science Writing, Press, and Dissemination Branch
6001 Executive Boulevard, Room 8184, MSC 9663
Bethesda, MD 20892-9663
1-866-415-8051 (TTY toll-free)
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is the largest scientific organization in the world dedicated to research focused on the understanding, treatment, and prevention of mental disorders and the promotion of mental health.
Health & Outreach
NIMH supports research on the following disorders:
See the NIMH Child and Adolescent Mental Health page and links.
- Anxiety Disorders
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD, ADD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (Pervasive Developmental Disorders)
- Bipolar Disorder (Manic-Depressive Illness)
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Panic Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Social Phobia (Social Anxiety Disorder)
There is also lots of useful information here on: medication, antidepressants for children and teens, child behavior disorders, child mental health, and teen mental health, and help for children in coping with traumatic events.