The Harris School
Supporting the academic and emotional growth of children ages 3-13 and their families
900 Lovett Boulevard
Houston, TX 77006
The Harris School - a warm, caring environment for children with emotional and social development delays
The Harris School provides a non traditional environment for children in Pre-K through grade 8 who are experiencing emotional and/or social development delays due to trauma, ADHA, Bipolar Disorder, language delays, Aspergers, Sensory Integration Disorder or any other issue that is interfering with their normal course of development. The Harris School is unique and is the only psychoanalytic day school in Houston that is accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS CASI). Our standards are high and we are fully committed to:
- providing a low teacher/pupil ratio. This allows us to give the students the individual attention and support they need to be successful. Currently, our teacher/pupil ratio is 1:5 and, in some cases, lower.
- employing experienced, college degreed and certified teachers.
- employing full time licensed mental health professionals. They are on campus and readily available to work with our parents, students and teachers.
- recruiting and retaining quality faculty members by providing competitive salaries, benefits, and incentives.
- continuing professional growth for our faculty every year. Our teachers receive 2 hours of clinical training and consultation every week with our Family Consultants and participate in several academic workshops throughout the year. We have partnered with The Neuhaus Education Center, The United Way, and Region IV Educational Center to assist us in our professional training.
- making our program accessible to families at all income levels. We provide financial aid annually to bridge the gap between what a family can afford and the cost of tuition.
- providing enrichment opportunities to every student. We contract a karate teacher, an art therapist, a science instructor, and a drama/music instructor to work with our students. These individuals are trained to work with children with special needs.
- providing assistance to parents during the transition process. We provide our teachers and consultants with the time and expense reimbursements to visit and consult with other schools in order to assist parents in locating an appropriate setting for their child who is transitioning out of The Harris School.
Located on a beautiful, tree-lined street in a historical Montrose neighborhood, The Harris School provides a warm and caring environmnet, with classrooms that are designed to meet a wide variety of needs. Our focus is on the "whole" child and we are lovingly referred to as "the helping school".