Confused about the diagnoses and testing scores you are receiving for your child?
Is your child's cumulative file busting at the seams and creating an urge in you to start a bonfire?
Dr. Sharon Hellman helps you translate all the "gobbledygook" into English and explains how it relates to school life, home life, and social life.
Dr. Hellman maintains a psychotherapy practice with children, adolescents and their parents specializing in learning disabilities, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Asperger’s Syndrome, anxiety disorders, mood disorders, chronic illness and adoption issues.
Dr. Hellman holds a doctorate in psychology and master’s degrees in learning disbilities, clinical reading, and applied behavioral counseling. She has raised children of her own and has 34 years experience as a special educator, school administrator and psychotherapist. She can help answer questions such as:
- How do I find out what is wrong with my child? Seems that nobody can "pin it down"
- Interpretation of psychoeducational test results and how they translate into real life situations
- Understanding the family impact of LD, ADD, anxiety disorders, mood disorders, post traumatic stress disorder and other challenges faced by families who love their kids
- If, when and why to consider medication
- Regaining confidence in yourself as a parent when your child has chosen a destructive path, or “stop blaming yourself”.
- The challenges of raising an adopted child who also happens to be LD.
Dr. Hellman's philosophy includes a collaborative approach when working with the child. That includes the parents, teachers and school guidance counselors. With an integrated approach she believes that your child will get on the right track much sooner.