Dr. Mark P. Borsuk, O.D.
Modern Eyes, LLC
Diagnosis and Treatment of Vision-Related Learning Disorders, Eye-Turns, and Lazy Eyes
108 Olde Towne Ave
Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877
Vision-Related Learning Disorders & Vision Therapy in Maryland
Did you know that up to 25% of all school-age children have undiagnosed vision problems significant enough to impair academic performance? Within the learning-problem population this rate may even go as high as 60%!
Routine school vision screenings do not test for vision problems at near, where such learning delays may be prevalent (such as eye movement control, binocular coordination, and focusing problems.) In fact, sometimes vision problems may be even misdiagnosed as ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, and other learning-related disabilities when vision is actually the major culprit.
Symptoms of vision-related problems may include:
- Squinting, eye rubbing, or excessive blinking
- Avoidance of reading and other close work
- Loss of place when reading or using finger to keep place
- Holds reading material closer than normal
- Blurry vision at near, and/or at distance after prolonged near work
- Difficulty copying from the blackboard
- Headaches when reading
- Double vision
- Turns or tilts head to use one eye only, or covers one eye
- Makes reversals when reading or writing
- Omits or confuses small words when reading
- Unable to finish written work in time allotted
- Frustration with homework
- Performs below potential
- Distractibility or short attention span
As a developmental optometrist and graduate of the prestigious UC Berkeley School of Optometry, and with more than 10 years of experience, Dr. Mark P. Borsuk diagnoses and treats learning-related vision problems, eye-turns, and lazy eyes.
Studies have shown that the correction of vision problems with vision therapy leads to a significant reduction in visual symptoms and improvements in reading performance.
At our Gaithersburg office we provide:
- A comprehensive optometric diagnostic assessment of learning problems related to poor vision
- Treatment at our state-of-the-art vision-therapy center for learning-related visual problems, eye-turns and lazy eyes
- Testing for routine eye problems
- A complete line of corrective eyewear and contact lenses
We will work together with other professionals in the treatment of your child