Our law firm is committed to helping families through enforcement of children's special education rights. To that end, the Law Offices of Martha Millar focus exclusively on representing children with special needs. A former special education and general education teacher, attorney Martha Millar brings valuable experience to resolving special education law matters. Ms Millar advocates on behalf of children for an appropriate education, with the goal of having them reach their full potential and achieve a meaningful role in the community.
Legal services are provided free of charge to qualifying parents of children with special needs.
Eligibility for special education services
If your child has a disability which adversely affects their educational performance, they may be eligible to receive special education under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Under IDEA, school districts are required to seek out, identify, and evaluate children with disabilities who need special education and related services.
You may need legal services if:
- Your child's school refuses to assess your child in all areas of suspected disability.
- You disagree with the placement or services called for in your child's Individualized
Education Program (IEP).
- The school is failing to provide services specified in your child's IEP.
- Your child has been repeatedly suspended from school.
- There are other educational problems related to your child's special needs.
Provision of legal services and fees
We represent children with special needs and their families in disputes with school districts and other local education agencies over:
Legal services are provided by the Law Offices of Martha Millar free of charge to qualifying parents. For others, attorney's fees may be recovered after prevailing in a legal action.
- Placement and services
- Compensatory education